Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Bubble 

There are so many places to visit on this planet. However, there is no place to visit on this planet where all things are magical, beautiful, and filled with cotton candy and snow at Christmas in Florida.  I have gone to Disney World at least ten times, but one time was most memorable than the others. My son and daughter-in-law allowed us to bring two children from our school on this vacation.  We flew from Shreveport, and my family drove from Tallahassee.  Our guests had not been out of the city limits.  It is difficult to express the joy and excitement on those two children's faces when we boarded the plane.  They could not believe that we were flying above the clouds.  I said to them, "How do you like flying above the clouds?"  The younger child said, "I will just be happy when the clouds get back where they belong!" To the point!  My son does not know what it means to rest in "the bubble".  We call it the bubble because nothing bad happens there. We do not watch the news or talk about anything of value. The greatest decision we ever make is which ride to get  a"fast pass" for and what pin we will trade to get another new pin.  We went to the parks at 7:00 AM and left for the hotel at 2:00 AM. I could not feel my legs from the waist down, and once I glanced at my socks and I thought the red Nike check mark on my ankle was blood.  Just then, as we were on the way to the boat taxi, my son spotted the princesses in a room, not just one but all of them.  He grabbed the guests and my granddaughter and ran quickly to the building, heeding not one word or phrase that we were saying.  I fell back on one of the benches near the exit and wanted to weep.  My daughter-in-law thought that she saw Prince Charming, but it was a mirage. I was actually upset with my son.  The children had seen enough! I was a tired grandmother and he was not aware of my age and what he was putting on me. God told me at that moment to get my yellow pad out and watch what was about to happen. I found a pen with my numb fingers. I readied myself by holding the pen with my thumb as I did in first grade.  An hour later, here came my son with three beaming children. Their dreams had all come true.  They had just gotten autographs and pictures of all the princesses.  Pure joy. What a wonderful, magical moment!  I started writing down everything God was showing me. "Remember when I said that it "delighted Me to give you the desires of your heart?"

My son did not realize what he had done,  He had just given my two little students from the inner-city the hour of their lives.  However, God knew he had.  You see, God deals in great joy.  The Bible says that God does new things every day.  Over and over, scripture tells us that God is the source of our joy and that great are those here on this earth who bring joy to others in His Name.  We are His Hands extended offering hope and joy to the oppressed.  That night in the hotel they hugged my son and told him that they would never forget the day they just had. How did we attribute that joy to God?  What did we do in a carnal world to bring the joy of the Lord?  The Word says that the joy of the Lord is our strength.  Disney? God? Princesses?

We cannot be so "holy" that we are no good for anyone else.  Those two little girls trusted me enough to get on an airplane, fly to an unknown place, ride "scary" rides simply because I said that they would be fine. That kind of faith in me can be used to show people that if they think I can be trusted, how much greater can God keep them safe?  If I love seeing them joyful, how much more joy can God pour into their hearts?  If I am willing to spend hours of my life just allowing them to experience new things, how much more does God find joy for them?   We prayed that night for my son, and we thanked God for this incredible experience. They fell asleep, one on each side of my granddaughter.  I began to rub my sore feet, as I put my yellow pad under my pillow.  Meeting adjourned. "It's a small world after all.  It's a small world after all.  It's a small world after all.  It's a small, small world."

No comments: