Saturday, March 9, 2013

Minutes with the Master Racer

March Madness

My 9 year old granddaughter
My nine year old daughter rode 115 miles an hour as a passenger on Orlando's Richard Petty Speedway.  I had done the same thing on my 70th birthday, only I got to drive alone. It was
an exciting experience and one that will never be forgotten.  There was one more participant 
on the racetrack that was key to my success.  It was a pace car.  I felt all the power of independence and, yet, my success depended totally on the pace car.  I was told to do what the pace car did.  When it went up, I did.  When he went down, I did.  He flashed green lights on his bumper that meant I 
was doing fine and to keep going.  However, when my three laps were over, he flashed his 
yellow lights which meant slow down and go into the pit area.  Some of my friends asked me 
why I was not afraid, and suddenly I thought about that question.  I had never driven a race car
or any other car 125 miles per hour alone and certainly not a stick shift.  I felt confident in some-
thing that I had never done before, and why?  God called me into the office and said, "Bring your 
paper and pen.  I want you to record the minutes of this meeting."  I knew the routine.

God spoke, "Do you realize why you were not afraid? It was because you had a lead car.  That is 
how it is with us, Martha.  I am your pace car.  I go before you and make the "turns" in life 
straight.  When you are weaving in and out of life's traffic, I show you the way.  Not that you
are a robot.  You really drive your own car, but I am the still, small voice, just like the pit crew's
radio in your ear, saying 'Time to come in and get a refill of fuel.  Time to rest.  Time to trade your 
tired, human ways in for new tread that grips and digs in around the turns of life.'  There are other 
crew radios trying to communicate.  Do not listen to those voices.  Listen to Me.  You know my voice.  Sheep know the sound of their shepherd.  You know the sound of your pit chief.  Some-
time you do not want to do what I say.  I say, 'come in' and you say, 'I don't want to!  I can go
another lap.' However, if you do not want to crash, you will obey.  Remember, if you are tired 
you can always just come closer to my pace car and just catch a draft from my lead, and you can rest while I blaze a trail for you to follow.  You see, the battle is not yours; it is mine.  I will lead you to 
front of the race.  You will be able to finish well.  Then when the checkered flag comes out, and you finish your last lap, I will hand you the trophy and say, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant. 
you I am well pleased.  Come into the winner's circle.  Listen to the cheers. You ran a good race. You finished the course.''

I gathered up my papers and walked back into the world.  I found my friend and pulled her aside. I said, "Do you remember when you asked why I was not afraid during the race? Well, I know why. God was in the number 1 poll position, and He led me the whole way.



11 comments:

Martha Ellis said...

There is a definite typo in my blog! I have a nine year old granddaughter NOT daughter! Sorry!

Love Being A Nonny said...

Great words!

Theresa said...

We ALL make typos:) I am visiting you from Teresa's blog! I enjoyed your blog! Have a blessed day!

emptynester mom said...

Martha, I'm a Martha and I'm visiting you from another blog. Thank you so much for listening to His voice and then sharing your thoughts. What a beautiful analogy and reminder of the importance of listening and allowing God to lead!

Bacardi Mama said...

I am visiting you from Teresa's blog! Loving your posts. Keep up the good work.

Kaypt said...

I'm a 70 yo (well, in 2 weeks) and I'm loving your blog. Keep up the good work. Who knows-- maybe I'll join you.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Martha, Welcome to the blogging world. Do you know that one of my dreams has always been to drive a race car? You rock! I came over from Teresa's blog. Nice to meet you.

Wendy's World 82 said...

Never too old for blogging. I enjoyed your blog. I think I would like to drive in a car that fast. Love the analogy of God going before us. Nice to meet you.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I love it!!! Now if we'd just remember that God's always in the lead and in control we wouldn't make such a mess outta things of this world!

This Ozark Farm Chick dropped by from Grammy Girlfriends to say 'howdy' and 'great job' girl!

Ya'll have a fantastically blessed and beautiful day straight from the mighty hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa~ :o)

Tanya said...

Martha,
Hello hello hello....visiting you from Kansas via Teresa at Grammy Girlfriend! You just hang in there girlfriend and think about your blog as a "diary" or an outlet for YOU! Just get out there and visit around on all these comments you are getting and BOOM!!!!....you will be so busy you won't know what to do!
I'LL BE BACK TO CHECK ON YOU! :)
Hugs,
Tanya

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Martha ,,I AM SENDING A SMALL GIFT TO ALL THE BLOGGERS THAT LEAVE YOU A COMMENT...I WANT Martha TO BE A HOUSEHOLD NAME IN BLOGLAND I love you

Take that verification thing off YOU DO NOT NEED It